In no particular order…..
1. Visit all the Smithsonian museums at the National Mall.
2. Eat a delicious, macaron-topped cupcake from the Cupcake Wars winners, The Sweet Lobby in Eastern Market.
3. Go see the passing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery as well as the statue of Iwo Jima.
4. Eat a bowl of homemade Japanese ramen at Toki Underground on H street—about a mile off from Union Station Metro—but be prepared for a half hour or forty minute wait.
5. Shop ‘til you drop in Georgetown and go kayaking at the nearby Potomac River.
6. Spend the day lounging around the park and perusing the many bookstores, shops, cafes and bars at Dupont Circle.
7. Walk around Old Town Alexandria and be sure to visit the Torpedo Art Factory on the waterfront.
8. Take silly, touristy pictures at all the national monuments—and don’t forget to go to the Capitol as well as the Library of Congress.
9. Go hiking at Great Falls Park in McLean or have a picnic at Gravelly Point Park in Arlington, by the Ronald Reagan Airport (DCA).
10. Eat Korean BBQ in Annandale and emerge from the restaurant smelling like what is in your stomach.